Collin Matjila holds a BA degree in Law from the University of Lesotho, an LLB Degree from the University of the Witwatersrand, a MAP and SEP Diplomas from Harvard University (Boston, USA) and a South African Chamber of Business Awards nominee for 2001/2 Businessman of the Year.
Prior to 1994 Collin was an active member of the Soweto Civic Movement and later held various leadership positions within the African National Congress (ANC) on a local and provincial level. Collin served in various positions in the public sector and migrated to the private sector in 2001 .He still undertakes specific mandated duties in the public sector from time to time.
Between 1994 and 2000 Collin became a key strategic figure in the restructuring process of local government in South Africa and Internationally. Between 2000 and 2015 Collin Matjila had been appointed:
• Chief Executive Officer of the Command Centre for Emergency Reconstruction, a special purpose vehicle formed by Cabinet in 2001 to reconstruct flood damaged infrastructure in the country with a project budget of over R1.5--billion.
• Chief Executive Officer of Kopano Ke Matla Investment Company, the investment arm of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU).
• Appointed Chairperson of the National Electricity Regulator (later National Energy Regulator of South Africa) by the Minister of Minerals & Energy and later the Minister of Energy.
• Member of Eskom Board of Directors
• Acting Chief Executive of Eskom
Collin also holds professional membership with the Institute of Directors, Gordon Institute of Business Science and the South African Law Society. Collin’s extensive exposure to a global and diverse spectrum of cultures and practices on matters of transformation, strategy, governance and economic development over a number of years, has optimized his strategic leadership and management skills in the fields of business development, strategic guidance, economic development and transformation. Collin has also served as Director in various private sector companies including as Chairman of the Board of JSE listed construction company Raubex. In 2015 he went into business full time and formed Kanana Investments, a diversified investment company with a focus on property, energy and agribusiness.
Collin strives to achieve excellence by paying particular attention to governance issues and the overall performance of the business in relation to its strategic objectives and set goals.